Wednesday, April 6, 2011

KC Command Scout Day Not Official with Scout Council?

 I have been hearing for several weeks that a "Scout Day" with the Kansas City Command was in the works.  The date came out in the latter part of March, and I was informed by a ticket broker that I've been working with.  However, there had been NO mention of any upcoming event through the Heart of America Council for Boy Scouts.  So, at our monthly District meeting, I asked one of the Council Executives why I was hearing about this event from my ticket broker, but not through the Council itself.  Here is what I was told...

The Kansas City Command Scout Day was not worked out through the Heart of America Council - Boy Scouts of America.  In fact, the only knowledge that anyone I talked to about the event was having received an Email talking about the event.  As far as the people I talked to were concerned, the Kansas City Command and Sprint Center set up this Scout Night and were marketing it independent of the local Council.

This is not the first time that a "Scout Event" at Sprint Center was not known by the Local Council.  I attended the Scout Day at the Professional Bull Riders event at Sprint Center on April 3 to find out that the group that I had worked up were apparently the only Scouts in the building.  We received what we were offered, it was a good time, but it wasn't the event we had hoped to be a part of.  Now we have to sit back and wonder what kind of support this Scout Day at the KC Command is going to receive since it is not being promoted by the Local Council and should the Scout I deal with attend this event as a part of Scout Day or take advantage of Council Approved activities on the same day?

All I can say at this time is that "All Plans Are On Hold."  That and, if you're going to hold a Scout Day event, you need to work it out through the various Scouting Council in the area, not fish out the local Scouting Groups through emailing their leaders.

No comments: