Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rush Overcome Mistakes ... Beat Barnstormers

There are times that I love the phrase ... "I'd rather be lucky than good."  As I watched the Iowa Barnstormers take on the Chicago Rush, those words came to mind as Iowa seemed to be the beneficiary of several lucky turn of events in the second and third quarters.  Unfortunately, I missed the first quarter of the game, coming in to find Iowa well in the lead.  But they couldn't hold it, and as I predicted, Chicago walked away with the victory.

Let's not sell Iowa short.  They put up a great fight.  They kept the game interesting.  They took advantage of some lucky turn of events and for a while there, it appeared that Iowa may be able to pull of an upset.  But unlike Chicago's home game against Kansas City, they didn't shoot themselves in the foot, pulled themselves together, and put the points on the board to give them a nice ten point lead to win the game.

Yeah, I know ... several Kansas City fans are Barnstormer fans.  Well, I'm not one of them.  I started off a Chicago Rush fan before there was an AFL team in Kansas City, and even when I was really into the Brigade, it was hard not to be a Chicago Rush fan first.  So, while the Kansas City Command are out of the playoff, and the Iowa Barnstormer fans have seen their playoff hopes fade to black.  I can sit back and wait for the post season that will include the Chicago Rush.

So, what's next for Chicago?  The Rush host the Utah Blaze, who have their own problems they've been overcoming.  Chicago will be facing a team that is now 2-5 on the road, while the Rush are 7-1 at home.  Chicago is 6-2 within the Division, while Utah is only 3-3.  So, as long as Chicago doesn't shoot themselves in the foot.  As long as they do not too many mistakes, they should be able to walk away with a win against the Utah Blaze in Week 17.  Week 18 may be a different story as they are away against the Georgia Force.

No comments: