Friday, May 25, 2012

Kansas City Tease - Close the Book?


It seems like forever since I started tracking the development of a female arena football team for the Kansas City sports market.  At first it was going to be the Sugar and Spice League, then later it was the development of a new league called the Ladies Arena Football League.  But the LAFL season schedule is up and there are only four teams on the schedule, none of which are from Kansas City.

I've caught a lot of flack about the the promise of the Kansas City Tease.  I have looked at the available information and quickly found myself thinking that this team would not come together.  Club appearances, the photographs were more a "sex sells" approach and "wanna be celebrity" presentation than that of a group of women who were serious about playing football.  I have no doubt that there were a few ladies involved in the Tease that wanted to play football, but most of them looked like they should be dancing at one of the top level strip clubs here in KC.  In fact, the people behind the team were coming back as having a past in the entertainment business not the sports business.

Well, its likely over.  Check their website and there is no indication that the team is any closer to competing than they were a year ago.  Their calendar ends with one practice entry in June, and then nothing.  Facebook, no posts since January.  All indications are that the Kansas City Tease have fallen apart.

Now, I would love to see a respectable Ladies Arena Football Team come to Kansas City.  The problem is that whoever leads this endeavor has to be serious about Arena Football, not using the ladies to draw men, and  certain ladies, into a group of clubs that the promoters and owners are connected with.  The Lingerie Football League has gained enough respect to get themselves broadcast on MTV2 in the past, and when I first saw the talk of a ladies team, hoped that it was a LFL team.  But there is this little problem with support for teams like this.  Kansas City just isn't an Arena Football town, especially with the history of the Kansas City Brigade, the complaints that arose when the team moved to the new Sprint Center, and now the far from impressive Kansas City Command.

So, I am closing the book on the Kansas City Tease.  It was a nice idea, but all appearances are that it's over.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you want to see real women's football at the highest level, check out www.wfafootball.com. This years championship game will be played at Heinz field in Pittsburgh as former great Franco Harris is co-owner the the Pittsburg Passion. The KC Tribe (www.kctribe.com) has been to that championship in 2009 and brought home the gold beating Washing DC for the title. This is REAL football...

antagonyst said...

Much to my surprise I found the web site for the Tribe after I posted this article. I was thinking about doing a little more research and doing an article on this league and the two teams (I believe) in the Kansas City area.

Yes, I would agree. From what I have seen on the web, this is real football, played on a regular football field. No selling with sex, just down and dirty football.

I promise, I will be watching for next year's season and will try to make at least one game to check it out.

Thanks for posting.