Saturday, May 21, 2011

Kansas City Takes it From Tulsa

courtesy KCCommand on Facebook
In a game that was riddled by missed opportunities and mistakes by both teams, the Kansas City Command manage to TAKE the game from Tulsa in the final four-tenths of a second.  The final play of the game, after a fumble that almost ended the game with the Command losing, KC managed to get a pass into the end zone to take the win.

I caught the game on the internet when the Command were tied 7-7.  I put the broadcast on my little 9 inch Acer and kept an eye on the game while I continued playing around on the Internet and tracking the severe weather to the North and Southwest of Kansas City.  What I noticed in the game was that Tulsa seemed to be suffering the same problem as Kansas City.  The arena looked almost empty.  I would bet that there were more people there than at the last two KC Command games, but the support for Arena Football seems to be suffering in several markets.  Can we simply say its a matter of needing to present a better class of player, a better product for fans?

I have now attended a home game, and I have watched a Command game on the internet.  I had hoped that I would have been more supportive myself, but all that comes to mind when I think about the home game I attended, and now that I reflect on the online broadcast ... the game is missing some of the 'excitement' that I remember from the KC Brigade games at Kemper and the game I attended in Chicago.  I even found myself sitting back tonight thinking ... wow, 14-13 Tulsa at half-time.  This is a low scoring game.  By the end of the game, the scoring wasn't much better.  I need some excitement in my game.  I also need the officials and the league to stand up to the idiots that have their seats on the sidelines and tell them to STOP interfering with play.

In the final two minutes of the game, a fan on the sidelines reached out over the wall and caught the ball, taking it away from its intended receiver.  That same fan managed to get a hold of a second ball, taking it away from the player after a catch at the wall, ending the play at that moment.  Its the same complaint I've had about certain people in Kansas City.  Reaching into the field of play, after being WARNED by the announcers that such would not be tolerated, and interfering with the flow of the game.

Anyway, the Command have their third win of the season, but they are still well below .500 and are tied for last place in the division with the Iowa Barnstormers.  It doesn't look like playoff this year (manic laughter).

No comments: